Monday, January 23, 2012

Andrej Pejic: Man, I feel like a woman


Pretty?


Looks like a normal, beautiful, unique, pale blonde model. Well, he certainly is unique. Wait, HE? Yes, Andrej Pejic is a man, who just happens to be lanky and feminine enough to pass for a woman, so he models both men and womens clothes.


Most people, upon seeing him in his normal attire and makeup, automatically assume he's a woman. But then when he starts talking, a person knows the difference. This 20 year old Australian model, who was scouted at 17, has amazing modeling career. Referencing his first opening for a womenswear brand, he says "No one actually noticed it was me, or not a girl." When approaching certain modeling agencies, he was turned away because he couldn't be classified as a male or female model.Many are thankful he has broken the order of modeling. "I've always been instinctively drawn to those with character, and those who don't conform to one physical ideal" says Sarah Doukas, head of the Storm line. Many photographers adore Pejic, admiring his different look. He walked twice in a Jean Paul Gaultier show, for the womens and mens line. He's definitely had to work harder than most models, which he is admired for immensely.

Many people are frightened by his appearance in the fashion world, they are threatened by the fact that he is neither a woman or a man, he is the middle space. Hopefully, people will now be more open to different people...I mean heck, he couldve gotten away with modeling as a woman, not like most models have existant breasts anyway...

He is a huge inspiration for transgendered models, and just transgendered people in general. Andrej is a wonderful role model for many men, breaking the normalcy of the fashion world.

7 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's crazy, he looks just like a woman. If it wasn't for the topless picture of him, I don't think I would have believed he was a man. I've seen some people with androgynous faces but to me, I don't see much ressemblance to a man. He must book a lot of jobs modeling both genders. Go Andrej!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just kinda creepy, laugh out loud. When I first saw him, I can honestly say I thought he was a women. If I was a fashion designer, I'd certainly let him model in my shows, since he can do both genders. I think it's kind of mean how some agencies won't let him model. I mean, wouldn't it be easier if they hired him, cause that way they could hire one less model?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God! This is insane, I honestly wouldn't have noticed that it was a guy! I don't get why he would be rejected for modeling due to the fact that he looks different, I mean don't they like variety? It certainly saves them money; they've got two genders in one. I really like your blog because it's interesting keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting blog, I was actaully very suprised when you said ''HE'' haha i thought it was a woman. But I find it interesting that this he\she actually has the body and appearance of a man and woman, it sure is different. I can't say im into the idea and that i like it but i just find it diffrent. It's cool I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first even I thought that he looked exactly like a woman, I would've never guessed he was actually a man. This is a great topic that you've talked about since it's not everyday you hear of a person who can model as a man and a woman at the same time. I'm sure he faces a lot of critisism regarding his appearence but then again it's his different appearence that makes him stand out. Good job on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I would not have even known that was a male but I did because you told me. I do not understand why people are frightened "by his appearance ... by the fact that he is neither a woman nor a man, he is the middle space." He is obviously a male but can model female. I do not see the big deal. I bet if you showed someone the photo and told them he was a girl they would have thought she was beautiful; but once you told them she was actually a male their opinion probably would have changed, just because she is actually a male. People really need to stop being closed minded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can honestly say, he looks like both. At first I saw a woman, and had to do a double take. Wow, he looks good. I think if there were more transgender, there would be less discrimination towards both genders based on their sexualities.

    ReplyDelete