Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Victoria's Secret Fantasy


There was recently a Victoria's Secret  fashion show, as there is every November. The night it was on, pretty much every guy I know was watching it...no surprise there, but there was also many girls watching. Unfortunately, I only caught the tail end, but still, it was spectacular. They put on a very good show, not only wearing normal lingerie. Miranda Kerr walked the runway in the new $2.5 million diamond encrusted Fantasy Treasure bra. Of course, all the angels had elaborate accesories, like huge faerie wings, a shell, and a crown. Although for people interested in fashion, the designs are the center of attention, most watch this runway show for the babes bodies. Men drool over these womens bodies, and these models are pretty much the image of the perfect woman(at least to most men).

"The show fulfills a fantasy, and not just the obvious one of gorgeous women in their underwear," said Glamour magazine contributing style editor Tracey Lomrantz (http://www.cnn.com/)

 Most women envy their bodies, and try to attain them. Not all these models are naturally so perfect. To have the body of a model like Adriana Lima is pretty much impossible for the average women, but many still try through dieting and vigorous exercise, which can be very unhealthy(she worked with a personal trainer everyday since August for this show!). For the 9 days leading up to the show, some of the models eat only protein shakes made with powdered eggs and don't eat or drink anything for the 12 hours leading up to the show, not even water.Talk about torture! But actually this last bit, about not drinking before the show, is thankfully untrue, corrected later by Miss Lima, who drinks coffee, water and eats cake before the show.
I found an article about Adriana Lima cautionning teens on dieting, which I found rather funny, but it made sense. Her dieting and exercise is somewhat neccessary for her job, and she's simply warning teenage girls to not follow the same regime because it can be dangerous when not done right.

  Anyway, no matter how great these models look on the runway, I do not approve of their method of dieting. It makes me sick that models have to lose extra weight when they are already the perfect weight or thin, just so people can drool over them.


"It's interesting how many women say they use the show as a motivator to hit the gym or to finally start their diets." (Lomrantz, cnn.com)

(Interesting isn't the word I'd use, but anyway...)

For myself, I look at these women and don't just see their beautiful bodies, but their killer confidence, which is what I admire the most. Sure, I'd like a smashin' bod too, but in reality, I'm far too lazy to hop on the treadmill for even five minutes, as are allot of people. Every woman is beautiful and unique, no matter what her shape or height!




http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/25/showbiz/tv/obsessions-victoria-secret-show/index.html

7 comments:

  1. I watched a bit of the show but I only caught the last fifteen minutes. One model I noticed, her face was so skinny it disguested me. It's crazy how people try try so hard to attain the body of some of these models and the models body is completly unhealthy. Or the models worked years to attain the figure and the average person thinks they can attain it a few months or so. People now a days need to learn to be comfortable in their own body even if it's diffucult in society now a days because of TV shows like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good blog Kayla! I like how you touched on everything having to do with the fantasy to reality. I can't believe they made a 2.5 million dollar bras, there's kids starving in the world. I actually watched the show to, and what made me laugh was when one of the models was like "every girl's dream is to become a victoria secret andel". I honestly laughed, I actually rather not be one. I love food. I could not eat protein drinks and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, I was one of the guys watching the show. It was pretty amazing, though I too missed the majority of it. I think that in a way women should be glad that men are so interested about fashion for once! Just because men watch these hot models on national television doesn't neccessarily mean that we expect every girl to be like this. I myself would love a girl who eats a lot! It makes me feel like less of a pig if I end up eating a huge steak, which is great.
    Nick M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this interesting, thanks Kayla.
    I didn't watch the show, but I was kept updated by all the facebook statuses I've seen. I believe that everyone is perfect the way they are, because if we kept looking for imperfections, were always gonna find new ones, and with that comes new diets and exercise regimes, which could be totally unhealthy for someone. I bet you even the Angels, who have amazing bodies, find something to complain about. Well, keep up the good work :|)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny thing is the day this premiered I was at the gym watching it from the TV. Not gonna lie what girl wouldn't wish to look like them not only the runway shows but also the commercials on TV can definitely bring someones confidence level down. They do seem perfect but obviously that's a front they have to put on in order to succeed in their career. I agree with you every one is beautiful and unique in their own way, with that being said exercise does come in handy every now and then to reinforce that beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Nick's comment about guys being interested in fashion, but I really don't see how waltzing around in a sparkly bra and underwear can even be considered fashion. Sure, I watched it, but every time one of those stick-thin models tried to preach loving your body during the backstage moments, I couldn't help but snort. Of course I wished I looked like them, but that's not a reality, I guess that's the "fantasy" aspect of it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victoria's Secret Fashion show is amazing! But I do think that men should be just as interested in normal women and women should feel that men are interested in them without having to have a crazy fashion design.

    ReplyDelete